This packed half-day event will look at the challenges facing operators as the demand for mobile data rises, network capacity gets squeezed and the revenue per gigabyte falls. Topics under discussion will include: data offload, network strategies, traffic shaping, application design and content. Delegates will hear from key stakeholders currently facing these challenges and those whose job it is to try to mitigate the risks, develop scalable business models and advise the industry. Confirmed speakers so far include: Dan Warren
, Maurice Patrick
of Barclays Capital
, Gavin Franks
of O2 Wifi, Telefónica O2
and John Frieslaar
13:30 10th October 2012End date/time
17:20 10th October 2012Venue
Deloitte, Stonecutter Court, 1 Stonecutter Street, London, EC4A 4TR
This SIG is championed by Tom Rebbeck of Analysys Mason, George Grayland of Nokia Siemens Network and Pete Montgomery of GSMA. We are also extremely grateful to Deloitte for hosting this event. To follow this SIG on Twitter, @cambwireless, please use #MobileBroadband
A well-documented problem facing mobile operators is the rapid increase in mobile data traffic, reportedly growing at 52% per year. This data explosion, fuelled by increasing demand for content, and the data-hungry devices on which to consume it, (phones, tablets, laptops, in-car entertainment, etc.) coupled with falling revenue per gigabyte is forcing operators to seek ways to reduce costs and restore margins.
What are the capacity challenges mobile operators see now and in the future and what options will be available to ensure sustainable business models and quality of service for consumers and businesses?
This Mobile Broadband SIG will focus on:
- Offload strategies: what are the costs, benefits and challenges of offloading mobile data traffic onto Wi-Fi or femtocells?
- Network strategies: how is network access and architecture evolving? What new solutions are vendors looking at in order to support operators in their quest for greater capacity?
- Traffic shaping: throttling high data users/specific content types and tiered pricing. What else can be done?
- Applications/content: improving application design, offering self-care apps, customising content dependent on the method of consumption and better signalling and use of resources.
In this session we will hear from the operators who are encountering these problems, the network vendors trying to mitigate these issues and those advising the industry on future trends, business and opportunities.
Presentations will be heard from:
- Dan Warren, Senior Director of Technology, GSMA - “Driving a Complementary Strategy – More than the sum of its parts”
- Maurice Patrick, Director of Telecoms Equity Research, Barclays Capital - “Can anyone ever make money from mobile broadband?”
- Gavin Franks, Managing Director of O2 Wifi, Telefónica O2 - "Commercial motivations and new opportunities for O2 Wifi"
- John Frieslaar, CTO Western Europe GM, Huawei - “25 Years Out and Seeking a Sustainable Vision of the Future”
This SIG is championed by Tom Rebbeck of Analysys Mason, George Grayland of Nokia Siemens Network and Pete Montgomery of GSMA. We are also extremely grateful to Deloitte for hosting this event.
To follow this SIG on Twitter, @cambwireless, please use #MobileBroadband
This event is FREE to members of Cambridge Wireless. Tickets for non-members are £155.00 plus VAT. To join Cambridge Wireless as a member and attend future events for free, please visit: