The role of the Mental Health First Aider is sometimes misunderstood - people can end up offloading and sharing more than the first aider is comfortable handling. This can result in people taking on too much of other people’s emotional baggage, which can lead to burn out.
Ultimately, MHFA is as effective and as limited in what it can achieve as traditional first aid. We do not expect traditional first aiders to take the place of paramedics, doctors or nurses, nor should we expect Mental Health First Aiders to take the place of counsellors or therapists.
This series of 4 x 2-hour workshops will provide an opportunity to share experiences with other Mental Health First Aiders, identify the skills that need to be developed to support you better and opportunities to build your resilience as a Mental Health First Aider.
Who is it for?
Anyone who is MHFA trained and would benefit from receiving some support in the role.
These workshops provide a dual purpose
- To meet other Mental Health First Aiders and share current practice
- To build your resilience in the role
- Connecting with trained Mental Health First Aiders to share challenges and identify current practice that works
Looking after yourself in the role
- Skills development to build your confidence and resilience in the role
The workshop ends by developing an action plan for putting learning into practice
The workshop is facilitated by a trained therapist who will support the group discussion and deliver training to build confidence and resilience. This is a collaborative approach to supporting Mental Health First Aiders to avoid burn out and build resilience.
Due to the collaborative and supportive nature of the training, it is intended that delegates will attend all 4 workshops if possible.
Dates and times:
2-hour workshop every quarter:
- 12 September 2019, 10am – 12pm
- 16 January 2020, 10am – 12pm
- 30 April 2020, 10am – 12pm
- 16 July 2020, 10am - 12pm
Cambridge Network Member Cost: £480.00+VAT Non-member Cost: £720.00+VAT
* Due to the collaborative and supportive nature of the training, it is intended that delegates will attend all 4 workshops if possible, if not possible delegates are welcome to attend one workshop (£120+VAT per workshop).
To book or ask questions: email@example.com, 01223 746801
You can follow @CambNetwork on Twitter.