This is your opportunity to design and develop the software architecture for a wide range of unique sensing systems for applications as diverse as high volume consumer products to bespoke industrial and defence systems.
We are looking for an exceptional hands-on multidisciplinary engineer with a firm grasp of the fundamentals of distributed sensing system design to grow our capabilities in this challenging and exciting area.
As a Software Technical Authority focused on sensing systems you will be leading multidisciplinary projects spanning software, RF and electronic developments for both established and new clients. This position will allow you to be involved throughout the development cycle, from proof of principle investigations to new product introduction. Working alongside a world class team of engineers, you will also have the opportunity to support and influence business creation and be involved in project leadership. You will enjoy taking ownership of exciting technical problems on a wide variety of projects. An ability to learn and a desire to take on responsibility are as important as the breadth and depth of your current knowledge.
Type of Work
Cambridge Consultants’ core expertise is in innovative product development. We are the development partner of choice to many of the world’s leading blue-chips, as well as the virtual development team for ambitious start-up companies. We also undertake technology consultancy projects - from road mapping the future of a technology, through to risk mitigation and product launch.
Our Industrial, Consumer and Energy division (ICE) performs consulting, research and development across lots of different markets, including: Industrial - sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
Consumer - smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, consumer healthcare, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
Energy - sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
Defence - secure end-to-end systems for government clients covering sensing, communications, tracking & location, and data analysis
The work we do is throughout the whole product development cycle, from product strategy and front end concept generation, through technical feasibility and detailed design to transferring the idea to manufacture. The reason our clients come to us is because we are able to create systems that make a step change in performance, where technical innovation is the only way to achieve their commercial goals. The Software group delivers exciting and complex developments across the broad range of projects undertaken by the ICE Division. We have a focus on projects where designing challenging technology enables us to delight our clients.
Some of the areas we are currently involved with are:
- RF and communication systems
- High volume consumer products
- High value sensing systems
- Industrial robotics systems
- Industrial power systems
Your responsibilities will include:
- Interacting with clients to understand requirements
- Producing software architectures
- Technical leadership on complex projects
- Communicating technical details effectively with clients
- Working closely with business developers to develop technical proposals and with project managers to deliver technical solutions
- Providing mentoring and technical reviewing for junior engineers
To meet the requirements of this role, in addition to an excellent degree in a relevant subject such as software engineering, computer science or electronic engineering, you will have the following core skills:
- Good knowledge of C and experience in programming embedded microcontrollers
- Experience with using communication protocols such as Bluetooth or Zigbee
- An understanding of the software development life cycle and related tools and practices such as continuous integration and test driven development
- Good communication and presentation skills
- In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Experience in developing real time embedded software on bare metal or by means of an RTOS
- An understanding of electronics and interfacing microcontroller with various sensors and actuators
- Experience with .NET programming and Windows programming
- A background in control theory, digital signal processing or computer vision
- A background or experience in system modelling using UML or SysML
- Experience with software development in a regulated industry (such as medical, nuclear or defence)
- This role will be subject to security clearance vetting