You’ll lead architectural design for key initiatives as part of an expanding team that is resourced to deliver excellence, with control over the full stack and a remit to seek opportunities for alignment across the broader technology organisation.
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing smart working at BT. Smart working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss smart working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
About this role
We are strengthening our internal digital capabilities and looking for new talent as we expand our engineering team. Uncompromising in delivering quality solutions to our enterprise customers at pace, we require an experienced Solutions Architect with a focus on cloud-native engineering to bring their ambition, drive and proven track record of delivery to a broad portfolio of digital properties.
In a rapidly changing technology environment, organisations like BT need to transform their processes and systems rapidly to meet changing business requirements while making wise technology investment decisions and prioritising accessibility and inclusiveness throughout. Working with the business to identify and solve for their challenging needs is a rewarding undertaking.
Technical solutions you design will be used daily by customers, both as standalone digital experiences and as a part of strategic, transformational programmes of work.
You’ll lead architectural design for key initiatives as part of an expanding team that is resourced to deliver excellence, with control over the full stack and a remit to seek opportunities for alignment across the broader technology organisation. With a suite of technical programmes that are varied, informed by data, and creatively challenging, you will work to help define and execute solutions within a team of professionals.
You will operate transparently and with autonomy, ensuring strong documentation is produced and technical standards are adhered to. Challenging existing ways of working is encouraged in the pursuit of excellence.
You may assist in mentoring more junior members of the team and work with the Engineering Leadership Team to scale resources as business needs requires.
If you’re passionate about building beautiful web experiences that put the user first, please get in touch. Strong communication (both verbal and written), technical excellence and a sharp eye for detail is essential to this role.
You'll have the following responsibilities
• Design technical solutions based on existing or proposed architectural standards, building digital customer experiences for our enterprise customers (B2B)
• Analyse the technology landscape in the organisation, making connections with peers and promoting our engineering approach outwardly
• Define and execute a Cloud adoption strategy for the Digital Engineering group in Enterprise
• Liaise proactively with colleagues across the organisation to wholly understand system connections associated with work items and seek opportunities for alignment
• Participate in technology and vendor selection
• Support other disciplines within the engineering team to execute upon strategic direction
• Document and present findings and strategy comprehensively and articulately
• Collaborate on building reusable and modern component architectures across both front-end and back-end disciplines
• Prioritise engineering quality while delivering at pace, occasionally participating in code reviews where appropriate to ensure high standards of quality
• Track items of architectural technical debt and contribute to prioritisation sessions to ensure their effective resolution
• Work transparently and collaboratively, maintaining high standards of documentation
• Work to established code quality standards and collaborate on their improvement over time
• Proactively seek new technologies and approaches that may improve our work, sharing them with the wider team
You'll have the following skills & experience
• Familiarity with broad software engineering processes, technologies and best practice, with a focus on web technologies
• At least 6 years’ experience working in relevant technology roles
• Experience working on highly-available and scalable infrastructure projects incorporating Cloud-based engineering
• Strong expertise and industry qualifications in both Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
• Applied knowledge of architecting modern web applications with a variety of patterns
• Applied knowledge of a variety of content management systems that may include Adobe Experience Manager
• Applied knowledge of modern development tooling and automation techniques
• Confidence effectively analysing business requirements and articulating technical concepts to a non-technical audience
• Knowledge of accessibility and usability practices
• Exceptional attention to detail and communication skills, with a collaborative approach
• Familiarity with Git and other version control systems
• Experience working within a complex code base
• Working knowledge of web analytics and tag management approaches
• Familiarity with digital sales practices and marketing automation systems
UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-Lancashire-Manchester