Are you passionate about using your IT expertise to unlock the potential of science, develop life-changing medicines and bring them to patients quicker? Part of AstraZeneca IT, Science and Enabling Units IT is building a best-in-class organization at the forefront of the digital revolution in healthcare.
AstraZeneca has set out a 2025 vision for the company including a significant investment in data and Artificial Intelligence capability uplift across R&D. To this end a Data & AI Programme is being mobilized to manage investment and realize value in the following areas
A Science Data Foundation: Key data across the R&D value chain standardized, searchable and accessible for Data Science and AI applications. Initial data sets for standardization include ‘omics, cross study patient information and chemistry reaction, analytics and activity data.
A Biological Insights capability: collaborations and investment in knowledge graph technology, data, AI tech and expertise in supporting biological insights in disease etiology, target selection and biomarker discovery.
Augmented Drug Discovery: the application of AI approaches in accelerating and improving quality of the current Design-Make-Test-Analyse cycle of Lead Identification
To execute D&AI programme AZ is looking for a talented programme leader with experience in mobilizing and running data programmes, preferably in the Life Science sector. Ideally the individual will have experience of managing and organizing technical and data/AI resources across both traditional IT functions and R&D data teams
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership of the programme mobilisation: Establish (and manage) the PMO, including standard programme processes, roles, artefacts and tooling for planning, reporting, risk management, ROI realisation, product releases, workstream inter-dependencies, financial management, etc.
- Working with workstream leaders to establish ways of working with PMO
- Managing the recruitment and on boarding of the permanent programme resources, including working closely with talent acquisition groups
- Engaging with Outsourced Service Providers in the provision of temporary resources into the programme
- Develops and executes a Communication & Change plan for all stakeholders
- Programme leadership of the Programme:
- Lead all the resources/teams working on different areas of the programme –coordinate across multiple agile teams working on Graph, Architecture, Omics, ADD and Patient.
- Lead communication and update to Steerco, with support from SME leaders – delivery, discovery, mobilisation
- Works closely with Finance to manage Discovery phase costs
- Ensures technical solutions align with the agreed IT blueprint for transformation and AZ Architecture roadmaps and blueprints
- Works closely with related IT and R&D roles including Head of Services, Head of Architecture, Head of Data & Analytics/ BI Engineering, and Solution Delivery Director, R&D Data & AI leaderships in supporting the Discovery workstreams.
- Coaches and guides scrum teams on AZ IT agile project methodologies.
- Iteratively compiles longer term high level, integrated plan and deliverables as Discovery phase matures. Revises benefits, prioritising quick wins and ensures focus is on areas of greatest benefit: Works closely across SME workstream leaders
- Monitors progress vs plan / expected deliverables and identifies changes required wrt resources, timing, budget and priorities. Partners with workstream leaders
- Lead communications across programme
- Manage risk and issues within this area
- Lead programme to achieve benefits as identified in business case or higher
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Significant knowledge of pharma R&D processes / value chain
- Experience on leading data programmes – especially hybrid capability build involving not only IT but R&D technical resources
- Proven leadership skills and influencing skills
- Conflict resolution in a global matrix environment
- Proven history of delivering value to organisations through change – working across time zones, cultures, and IT disciplines including AD and AM environments.
- Organizational agility -- builds consensus through formal and informal channels and relationships; organizationally savvyCustomer focus -- dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
- Integrity and trust -- unwavering commitment to "doing the right thing"
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.