Digital Catapult is a part government funded not for profit, that is responsible for accelerating the early adoption of advanced digital technologies (AI, Immersive Technologies, 5G, Blockchain, Virtual & Augmented Reality) in the UK. This role will be responsible for a range of activities including (1) Market research and the writing of reports (long and short form) for effective delivery of projects; (2) Preparation of policy documents including summaries, briefings and policy proposals. (3) Strategic Engagement with relevant policy makers in departments in Government and network building with strategic partners with a particular focus on industry and technology innovation.
Your role will span project delivery, market research and innovation policy engagement activities. What You’ll Do
- Market Research - Responsible for scoping, researching and writing market research reports in technology areas such as AI, Immersive Technologies, 5G, Virtual & Augmented Reality, Blockchain and the internet of things. This includes exploration of sustainability and climate change challenges, responsible technology adoption, industrial net zero and the creative industries. It will also focus on building a strong internal knowledge for telecommunications innovation, particularly focused on telecoms supplier diversification. This includes engagement, identifying and mapping of barriers and opportunities for emerging technology startups and scaleups for specific projects and programmes
- Preparation of policy documents - Preparation of policy and strategy documents and other relevant areas that include briefings and summaries for internal and external stakeholders (e.g. for ministerial speeches, for government strategy documents, relevant evidence sessions from select committees in the House of Commons and House of Lords etc.). Also feeding into project and programme design that may form into policy proposals to internal and external stakeholders
- Engagement with relevant stakeholders for advanced digital technologies and other key areas for the organisation, such as policy makers in departments in Government and the broader innovation ecosystem - building a network and engaging with various policymakers in departments such as DCMS, BEIS, DEFRA, FCDO & DIT and key organisations such as CBI, Royal Academy for Engineering, techUK, along with relevant telecommunications organisations in the UK and internationally). This spans areas including but not limited to the Office for AI, DCMS Emerging Technologies and 5G Testbeds and Trials with the goal of understanding how government policy, national innovation activities and strategic industry papers are being developed - along with securing non-commercial partners for programmes and projects.
What We’re Looking For
- Previous experience in technology innovation market research, strategic engagement (including with policymakers and industry) and an understanding of scaling barriers to relevant start up / SMEs
- Knowledge and interest in current emerging technology trends, and the key government, public and private sector institutions that shape emerging technology policy in our technology areas (e.g. 5G, IoT, AI/ML, VR/AR, Blockchain etc)
- Excellent verbal and written communication and analytical skills, including the ability to translate complex material into clear and concise internal and external documents
- Strong team working and collaborative skills
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial with the ability to work flexibly, identify opportunities, suggest interventions and use your own initiative when necessary
- Able to work in a busy environment and capable of managing and developing multiple tasks and objectives, often to tight timescales
- Data analysis skills and Document design skills are desirable