Digital Catapult is a leading advanced digital technologies innovation centre in the UK. Its 5G Programme works directly in strategic partnership with leading universities, mobile industry key players, small companies and government. The 5G Programme at Digital Catapult operates facilities that underpin our 5G innovation and R&D activities, delivers thought leadership in the UK 5G ecosystem, works closely with key players in mobile industry and other vertical industries looking for pathways to adopt 5G, and delivers support and technical advice to organisations and government.
Digital Catapult is a leading advanced digital technologies innovation centre in the UK. Its 5G Programme works directly in strategic partnership with leading universities, mobile industry key players, small companies and government. The 5G Programme at Digital Catapult operates facilities that underpin our 5G innovation and R&D activities, delivers thought leadership in the UK 5G ecosystem, works closely with key players in mobile industry and other vertical industries looking for pathways to adopt 5G, and delivers support and technical advice to organisations and government. Digital Catapult operates its own 5G Brighton facility - one of the best 5G testbeds in the country, geographically distributed between Brighton and London – as well as running one of the best purpose-designed 5G Testbed Accelerator Programmes in the UK. The 5G Programme is underpinned by a strong technical team, with expertise in core networks, SDN, NFV and MEC, and with demonstrated capability to design, deploy and operate end-to-end commercial and open source-enabled 5G testbeds. At the same time
At Digital Catapult we are expanding our 5G technical team to further support our activities above, and are looking for talented and passionate engineers with experience and desire to develop features of next generation mobile network systems and technically lead on purposeful and meaningful adoption of these technologies in ways that contribute to the UK economic growth. Digital Catapult 5G technical team offers an exciting and exceptional opportunity to contribute, and develop skills, at the interface between communication infrastructure and its users, at a time when the communication infrastructure is becoming very flexible.
Technologists, engineers and researchers with strong backgrounds in telecommunications, mobile communication networks, computer networks, virtualisation and cloud technologies, with either hands-on exceptional software developments skills and systems engineering experience, or track record in leading teams in these areas, are welcome to apply.
You will be joining a very dynamic and active 5G technical team that is currently involved in leading the 5G Testbeds and Trials Industrial 5G activity in Digital Catapult, that is looking to develop the necessary framework and architecture for enabling adoption of 5G in manufacturing and similar industry sectors. You will be working very closely with the 5G Testbeds and Trials Programme team at DCMS, and a very broad existing ecosystem ov vendors, network operators, vertical industry companies
The role combines solid technical excellence, good understanding of the current state and direction of mobile technologies evolution, ability to present technical arguments clearly to non-technical people whilst at the same time working closely, and leading, working groups of technical peers across the 5G ecosystem to deliver meaningful solutions and documentation that helps vertical industries to make technology adoptions with confidence
Based in London, this role is focused on the practical development of technology consultancy services, with the aim to accelerate the adoption of advanced digital technologies. There will be a mixture of longer-term research-funded projects, shorter-term commercially-funded projects, consultancy/advise projects that require substantial technical input, with a primary focus on Industrial 5G and Private Mobile Network solutions. The position is permanent, with specific projects that will vary over time and will include technologies such as 5G technology, core network virtualisation, mobile edge computing, network and service orchestration and aspects of deployment and operation of 5G networks in enterprise industries, in particular in creative and manufacturing industries. The role will lead on development and implementation aspects for one or more projects, with a mixture of technology R&D, technical architecture, prototyping, software engineering working with the engineering team. At the same time, engagement with and help with developing commercial propositions, from a core technical solutions architect service delivery perspective is expected.
● Own the development and implementation aspects of one or more 5G Programme (R&D) projects at Digital Catapult, acting as a lead in working with partners and funders.
● Provide technical information, and contribute to technical information for the business case analysis and design of intervention mechanisms for 5G adoption in specific vertical industries, with priority in manufacturing, logistics and creative industries.
● Manage ongoing activities for the 5G Programme of allocated technical issues in the development and delivery of 5G activities, including technology-focused market opportunity analysis in specific industry verticals.
● Lead or contribute to the coordination and resolution of issues resulting from development and delivery of 5G Programme technical activities in the 5G Testbed and Trials Industrial 5G project and similar activities by the Digital Catapult, or the trials and developments of the partners involved in 5GTT Industrial 5G.
● Engage, and support company’s engagement as required, with industry, standards development bodies, regulators, academic and research institutions and local areas to deliver the 5G Programme’s approach to development of a successful testbed ecosystem.
● Provide technical advice and support to the development and delivery of the technical activities in the Digital Catapult, including our own 5G testbeds but and also liaising with other 5G testbeds across the UK.
● Provide technical information and act as a point of liaison on relevant issues for the rest of the 5G Programme, and support the leads of innovation, CR&D and commercial products in specific projects.
● Provide guidance and leadership to mentor and support less experienced team members; continue to develop and learn new technologies; investigate and propose new project directions.
● Share expertise and communicate work in presentations, authored or co-authored blogs or articles.
● Demonstrable experience and excellent understanding of network systems and protocols for fixed and mobile communication systems, including of core network architectures and protocols up to 3GPP 5G.
● Excellent communication skills of the above, and interested in explaining technology work to/for service developers and adopters; ability to communicate clearly technically complex concepts equally to peers and non-technical senior management.
● Track record of leading teams delivering relevant aspects from the above – from technology R&D to solutions architects and/or deployment/operation of core components of the fixed and mobile network.
● Experience working in a collaborative, agile delivery environment.
● Awareness, with further knowledge considered an advantage, of cloud and virtualisation approaches for networking systems.
● Experience with development and operational environments would be an advantage, as would that with modern devops and automation technologies.
101 Euston Road, London. NW1 2RA