Can you inspire change? Our Strategy, Innovation and Process Group helps our clients use technical and commercial insight for strategic advantage.
We respond to the challenges our clients face by helping them understand the future impact of technology and adapt their business to capitalise on trends. We create new ways of working that increase innovation success and develop technology portfolios that deliver against ambition.
Cambridge Consultants is one of the world’s leading product development companies, with a reputation for cutting-edge design, development and value creation for a global client base. Our business consultants provide the commercial context for technology developments, making the case for change and bringing ideas into reality.
We’re looking for someone to join our growing business consulting team. So if you can help a C-Suite consider how robotics could transform their business, a CTO spot the next R&D investment opportunity, or a CIO adopt new technology into products that address future consumer needs then read on!
Main purpose of the job
As a Senior Consultant in the SIP Group, you will take a leading role in our activities in the Industrial, Consumer and Energy (ICE) sectors. You will be responsible for significant client initiation and development, key client management, contract negotiation and overseeing successful project delivery.
The role requires credible technology strategy leadership, communicating at C-level in our client organisations. You will work within a multidisciplinary environment, with technical experts and those hands on in delivering innovative products and services as well as having a close working relationship with other members of the technology strategy team. Working with the SIP Group Leader and other senior business developers, you will work within a focused team to drive the growth strategy for our business consulting team within the ICE Division.
The role will balance working alongside project managers and technical leads, to take commercial responsibility for the delivery of successful projects. You will contribute your own business consulting expertise in one or a number of technology strategy methodologies or technology development background to create insights that drive strategic recommendations to our clients. You will be both defining and communicating an approach to the client to address technology-related business challenges and conveying your knowledge to the rest of the team.
Type of work undertaken by group
- We combine highly creative lateral and strategic thinking with excellent commercial and technical skills to form a powerful team. The Strategy, Innovation and Process Group delivers management consultancy and technology innovation projects in the areas of:
- Customer insight, market modeling and business case development
- R&D and innovation process analysis and organisational improvement
- Technology visioning, strategy development and portfolio road-mapping
- IP landscaping and technology evaluation
- Concept generation and innovation management
Our consulting activities are centred primarily in Europe and the US, but with a growing client base in Asia. Project work is usually based in the Cambridge UK office but with regular client workshops on client sites.
You will take responsibility for all aspects of business development for the SIP Group and be a senior contributor to projects where appropriate, working alongside other business development, project management, technical staff and business analysts. Specific responsibilities are:
- Working with and guiding our dedicated business development team to maximise opportunities for the business consulting team
- Understanding client business and technical needs and communicating these clearly to the team
- Personally close substantial sales
- Developing strong commercial relationships with senior client executives during project delivery to ensure expectation of quality and value of projects is met and shaping further sales opportunities
- Utilising market, technology and/or business consulting methodology knowledge to guide the technical team, informing strategy and internal investments
- Interacting with teams across the diverse market and technical base of the division
You will also use your strong business skills to help communicate what Cambridge Consultants can deliver to potential clients.
Your consulting skills will also help you to make a significant contribution to the overall direction of business strategy projects, often working on more than one concurrently.
You will support the delivery of project work, often to facilitate discussion with senior executives.
Your skills, energy and insight will make a significant contribution to the Strategy, Innovation and Process Group.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will...
- hold a degree in a business field or in a field of technical relevance for Cambridge Consultants
- have significant expertise and experience in either a management or technology consulting environment or have worked in an internal R&D strategy role. Our team applies generalist consulting skills to strategic technology questions, working across a range of technologies and industry sectors
- have already been successful in business strategy development / implementation, innovation management or an NPI role
You are experienced in recognising technology-led opportunities, helping to shape breakthrough products and bring them to market.
In addition, to be successful in the role you will be expected to:
- Be committed to providing top quality advice to address the needs of our clients
- Have a track record in developing client relationships, recognising potential and selling significant projects
- Be a highly effective communicator with the ability to write, present and facilitate workshops
- Have excellent team working skills and be able to build and maintain new relationships
- Able to steer projects, but also on occasion lead them as a project manager
- Have flexibility, energy and a constructive approach to challenges
- Have a positive attitude and maintain a policy of openness
- Uphold the values of Cambridge Consultants of delivering impact and caring for colleagues
We’re committed to promoting a diverse workplace. We believe that diversity can only flourish when everyone feels included and has a sense of belonging.
We value all people regardless of gender, age, disability, race, ethnic origin, parental status, language, religion, marital status or sexual orientation.
- Competitive salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life, disability and travel insurance, plus private healthcare
- Free canteen - breakfast, lunch and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.