Kirin is a groundbreaking heterogeneous intelligent chip that powers Huawei mobile phones and other devices. Our chip is designed to accelerate all kinds of smartphone services, such as internet browsing, navigation, games, video/image and AI processing. In order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers, we’re looking for world class scientists and engineers to join our CPU research team.
As a Senior Performance/Energy Research Engineer with the Kirin team, you will be responsible for deep profiling of the in-house heterogeneous CPU. You will be responsible for investigating performance and energy bottlenecks of the entire software stack, including OS and system libraries. You will be developing and exploring novel techniques for power and energy software/hardware optimizations. The open position implies a wide range of research activities in collaboration with research centers across UK towards improving the performance and energy efficiency of Kirin. In this role, you will have a chance to prototype the state-of-the-art in-house CPU design with integrated 5G module and participate in the development of a new generation of system software stack for the Edge eco-system. We are welcome candidates who are ready to face all kinds of challenges and has a passion to compete with world-wide companies for the technological leadership.
Investigate the performance and energy efficiency of the Kirin processor. Research and develop novel techniques for improving the processor performance/energy/power efficiency.
- Deep profiling of the Kirin in-house CPU architecture.
- Gathering, analysing and presenting the results of the architecture profiling.
- Extend and develop an automatic system for processor performance/power/energy profiling.
- Search for the performance and energy bottlenecks in system software, including OS and system libraries.
- Propose software and hardware modifications to address the discovered bottlenecks.
- Develop drivers and firmware to enable various CPU features.
- Improve DVFS policies for different heterogeneous components.
- Design and develop novel processor power reduction techniques.
- Analysis of the state-of-the-art technologies applied for improving performance/energy efficiency.
- Research of new hardware extensions and software modifications to reduce the processor power.
- Master/PhD degree in Computer science/Engineering/Physics etc.
- Knowledge of computer architectures, the ARM architecture (ARMv7, ARMv8).
- Strong embedded software debugging skills.
- Strong skills in software performance profiling and optimization.
- Strong coding skills, strong skills in C, C++, python and scripting languages.
- Knowledge of assembly languages and intrinsics (ARMv8, X86).
- Knowledge of the Linux kernel.
- Strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Experience in energy/power profiling and optimization (DVFS, power capping,…).
- Extensive experience in software optimization techniques for heterogeneous CPUs, from compiler optimizations to flash/DRAM access optimizations.
- Knowledge of the Linux and Android internal design.
- Experience in Android development and optimization.
- Experience in Linux driver and firmware development.
- Contributing to open-source projects (LLVM, gcc, Linux QEMU/KVM).
Right to Work in the UK requirement
All application should have the Right to Work in the UK without requirement for work sponsorship.
Privacy Notice - Through applying for this position you agree to our privacy notice. For further details please follow the link below;