Would you like an opportunity to develop software for a company that designs the heart of mobile phones?
The very different worlds of web technology and specialist software engineering combine in this exciting opportunity to work in a world leading, international company.
MediaTek develops the incredibly complex chipsets and embedded software that powers today’s smart phones and one of our roles (in Cambridge) is to write the specialist software to automatically validate these systems against real networks, simulations and dedicated test equipment. We can even validate the most advanced 4G and 5G features, without waiting for the real operators to roll them out.
Because we work on multiple projects in parallel, you will have the unique opportunity to work across a diverse range of specialties – from cellular protocol stacks, to PC tools, databases, web design and Android applications. Your learning is important to us, which is why we’ll make the most of your strengths and interests when selecting which projects you’ll work on. As well as working in a friendly local team, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with our internal customers – R&D and validation colleagues - in Finland, India, Taiwan and China.
- A great problem solver/ creative thinker
- Someone who enjoys picking up new skills quickly, through informal learning within the team
- Self-motivated and able to work both in a team and autonomously
- Keenly interested in software programming
In addition, one or more of the below would be great (but not essential)
- An understanding and interest in PC applications – how they work and interact
- An interest in mobile phones and to learn more about what’s inside them
- Familiarity with any wireless communications system
- Interest in the use of smart tools to automate complex activities
What we’ll offer you in return
- Work in a modern open-plan R&D Center close to Cambridge (Cambourne) and served by a frequent bus service
- Excellent and varied experience working on real projects in a leading global, high-tech company
- Opportunity to work with experienced and diverse engineers in friendly project teams
- Opportunity to interact (via email, IM and video conference) with R&D colleagues around the world
The placement will begin in 2020 or 2021 and we can be flexible about the start date. The length of the internship will need to be between 6-12 months long.
This internship will be at our Cambourne, Cambridgeshire office, based 9 miles outside Cambridge city centre (with frequent direct bus services). Cambridge is also conveniently located within one hour from Central London, four main London airports and The Eurostar. Should the office be closed for reasons relating to COVID-19, we will arrange for you to work remotely from home.
MediaTek and You
MediaTek is the world’s 4th largest global fabless semiconductor company, leading the market in chipset technology. We enable more than 1.5 billion consumer electronic products a year including Smart TVs, Voice Assistant Devices (VAD), Android tablets, feature phones, Optical and Blu-ray DVD players, and we’re number two globally in mobile phones.
MediaTek looks for people with a great passion and work ethic, who have a broad set of technical skills and are ready to master new technologies and tackle some of industry’s greatest challenges to positively impact billions of future users. From 4G and 5G smartphones, to tablets and digital television, MediaTek are changing the industry one innovative product after another.
We pride ourselves on having an accomplished and successful global collaborative team culture and a competitive compensation package. We know that each person makes important contributions, and that they are integral to our success.
How to Apply
To apply for this exciting internship please apply via email with the title ‘Software Applications for Cellular Communications'
MediaTek Wireless Limited (Cambourne)
Building 2010, Cambourne Business Park