Screenreader.net is very much an established social enterprise - a not for profit which makes software so that blind and visually impaired people worldwide can access the PC and now the Android smart phone.
We have over 260,000 users of our PC talking software and are at the beginning of our journey of discovery re the smart phone. The touch screen is a mighty challenge if you can't see but the prize is fabulous if we conquer this and we need lots of help technically and possibly a little help financially too.
At screenreader.net on the Android Market you will see the current state of play with our four aps which deliver the following solutions;
- An easy to see phone with colour choices and speech feedback
- A solution which enables blind people to create landmarks so they know where they are when out and about
- Spoken access to public information via Google
- A developing app which delivers a range of assistance and remote help options.
We have plans to further develop our easy interface to deliver music, audio books and talking newspapers to our clients with little or no sight.
We are at the early stages of creating www.screenreader.mobi as our smart phone website.
Funding to date has come from an SBRI proof of concept grant.
* For more information go to www.screenreader.net and click on the Very Smart Phone Link.