Knowledge Dock is home to the University’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise department. UEL is an innovative academic community, delivering high quality research that is impactful, intellectually stimulating, socially relevant and for public good. The centre sits in the heart of London’s Docklands area, boasting transport links into Central London and international travel, being only minutes away from London City Airport. The University site is also situated at Cyprus DLR station meaning whichever mode of transport your guests are joining us with, they will have no trouble finding us with ease.
UEL is one of the top new universities for research. The most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) put our world-leading research at 17 per cent – nearly double the previous REF. At the same time, more than 90 per cent of our research was assessed as 'internationally recognised' and more than 60 per cent was rated as being “internationally excellent”. Our research is central in helping achieve our commitment to civic and business engagement. At UEL, we believe in working with communities to help create their futures. This kind of engagement means we can help shape policy and practice to bring real improvements to people's lives. Many of our academics are key members of influential policy working groups in Government, business and the not for profit sector. Our academics also carry out consultancy and are active in engaging with businesses and the third sector through mechanisms such as Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs).
Our expertise includes:
- The Department of Computer Science and Informatics at UEL understands that computing is not just about programming or designing websites but about understanding the impact of information technology on individuals, organisations and the wider society. Their expertise includes AI, big data, cyber security, machine learning and virtual reality. Applied to areas such a medical data analysis, anomaly detection, IoT, 5G, the financial sector, marketing and social media.
- The school of engineering covers a diverse range of topics including seismic analysis and earthquake resilience, coastal engineering, photogrammetry, microwave filters and electric drives.
- Expertise in sustainability such the re-use of waste material, green roofs and urban green infrastructure.
- Public health research focusing on the health of communities and their wellbeing.
- Digital advocacy tools for people with disability and the vulnerable.
UEL’s Research and Development Support team, supports collaboration between UEL researchers and the business community. The research we do at UEL makes a difference, and not just here in east London. We help people live better lives all over the world.UEL Enterprise strongly encourage collaboration between external organisations and UEL’s entrepreneurial community.
University of East London, Knowledge Dock
Industry 4.0, IP101 – using IP to position yourself for the next tech revolutionRegister now