27 October 2020, Los Angeles: 5G will account for more than half of total mobile connections in North America, according to the latest ‘Mobile Economy North America 2020’ report from GSMA Intelligence. Of the region’s forecasted total of 426 million mobile connections, 51 per cent of these will be running on 5G networks by 2025.
We unite nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series of conferences.
The GSMA’s mission is to create value for operators and the mobile industry in the provision of services for the benefit of end users, so that those users can readily and affordably connect to and use the services they desire, anywhere, anytime.
- To support the evolution and broadest deployment of the GSM family of technologies thereby enabling economies of scale and global interoperability
- To stimulate and support the development, launch and promotion of new services and products
- To ensure that mobile services are made interoperable on both a national and international basis as rapidly as possible
- To provide services to operators and the mobile industry, such as conferencing, that promote and serve the goals of GSMA
- To support initiatives which stimulate social and economic development and help bridge the digital divide
- To develop environmentally sound and socially responsible policies for the mobile industry, its products and services
- To advocate appropriate government policies and regulations on a local, regional and global basis in order to ensure the continued development of the mobile industry to the benefit of everyone
- To communicate on behalf of the GSM operator community and ensure that its views are clearly communicated and understood.
2 min Read
One of the biggest strengths of the GSMA – our ability to convene 110,000 people from 90 countries for the annual MWC Barcelona – suddenly became a challenge in the face of a fast-moving new virus, COVID-19. We were forced to cancel the trade show on 12 February, when many still said there was no reason to fear. Leadership in...3 min Read
White Paper Highlights Best Practice from National 5G Plans2 min Read
5G has gained significant traction over the past year and is now live in 24 markets worldwide, supported by an expanding roster of 5G devices and growing awareness among consumers. According to the 2020 global edition of the GSMA’s flagship ‘Mobile Economy’ report series, 46 operators in 24 markets had launched commercially available 5G networks by 30 January 2020. One in...2 min Read
lmost 90 per cent of mobile ecosystem players in China identified edge computing as a major revenue opportunity in the 5G era, according to a new GSMA survey. The views of more than 20 leading mobile operators, network vendors, and cloud & edge providers in China’s market are revealed in a new GSMA Intelligence report, ‘Edge computing in the 5G...2 min Read