Private cellular networks, for enterprises, communities or new classes of managed services providers, are an increasingly important – yet complicated – area of the mobile industry. A combination of new spectrum allocations suitable for local or “vertical” networks, plus more-flexible radio and core. Meanwhile, a desire for enterprises to control or own their cellular connectivity, or deal with coverage limits that public MNOs cannot deal with, is stimulating demand. New use-case around IoT, or replacing old two-way radio systems, are accelerating the transition.
This trend is happening in many places – from the US to Japan to the UK to Germany to China – and for many different industries and network scales. At the top end, utility companies want even wider and more reliable networks than most MNOs. In the middle, airports and large manufacturing plants see 4G and 5G as a means to create campus networks and automate industrial processes. And even smaller networks, down to a building or a boat, are also possible. And this doesn’t exclude telcos either – they could offer network “slices” in their own spectrum or simply installation and maintenance business models.
This intensive day-long workshop is ideally designed to provide an in-depth understanding of private 4G / 5G networks looking at drivers, technology, end-to-end architecture, regulation, challenges, use cases & applications and help align the different pieces of the puzzle together to create a complete picture.
Who should attend this workshop?
The full-day workshop will have a maximum of 30 attendees to ensure a high level of discussion, interaction and great networking opportunities.
This workshop is ideally designed for people who are familiar with mobile technology, especially 4G and/or 5G technology. While a more detailed technical knowledge would be helpful, it will still have plenty to offer to others who may not be very familiar with the details.
The following people would benefit by attending this workshop:
- C-level executives / Senior Managers / Directors
- Product/Project/Programme managers
- Sales/Marketing people
- Industry analysts
- Government & regulatory functions
- Property and estate management
- People responsible for Investment and from investment industry
What is the workshop outcome?
- Much deeper understanding of the scope, timescales and reasons for private 4G/5G
- A thorough view of the various technological components involved
- Visibility into case studies and names of key players
- Awareness of commercial and regulatory challenges
- Objective analysis of the challenges involved, as well as the opportunities
- Networking opportunities and the potential for future engagement
Dean Bubley (popularly known @ DisruptiveDean) is a well-known analyst and industry consultant, known for his frank and honest opinions. He is a regular participant and a speaker in many local and international conferences. He has also conducted numerous similar workshops in the past, including on neutral host networks, 5G/MVNOs, Private Cellular, The Future of Voice, Telecom Blockchain, & Telcos' Internet "OTT" services.
Zahid Ghadialy is the Founder and Principal Consultant at 3G4G. He is also a Senior Director at Parallel Wireless and a SIG champion at CW. He has been leading the 5G trainings on behalf of CW and UK5G. He is widely recognized as an evangelist for new technologies starting early in his career as a team member of the group spearheading the first 3G network rollout in Japan and in Europe. Since then he has widely disseminated various ideas and information through lectures, talks, trainings and mainly through his blogs and websites.
The workshop is held under the Chatham House rule (link), to allow candid & confidential discussion, without external attribution of comments to individuals or their employers. Come prepared to think and talk, as well as listen – this is a “lean-forward” day.
The workshop will feature a blend of networking, informative presentations, group interactive exercises and open debate.
Session 1: Workshop Introduction (90 mins)
Drivers & use-cases: Who wants private 5G / 4G & why?
- Why do companies want private networks?
- IoT vs. human connectivity
- Industry verticals, local networks & case-studies
- What’s the difference compared with Wi-Fi?
Session 2: Technology & standards (90 mins)
Technology & standards
- RAN, small cells & backhaul
- Core networks for private 5G
- Devices, eSIM, BSS/OSS, private IMS
- Network slicing, edge-compute & cloud
Session 3: Regulation & spectrum (90 mins)
Regulation & spectrum
- What do governments & regulators want?
- Which frequency bands are important?
- US CBRS, UK Innovation bands, German industrial 5G & others
- Other issues: numbering, sharing & security
Session 4: The New Value Chain (90 mins)
The New Value Chain
- Role of systems integrators
- Where do telcos / MNOs fit?
- The vendor landscape
- Where are the opportunities?
Note: Timings are subject to change slightly depending on audience questions and participation
Early Bird Rate (until Fri, 03 Jan 2020)
- CW Members: £350 + VAT
- Others: £400 + VAT
Normal Rate (until Fri, 24 Jan 2020)
- CW Members: £400 + VAT
- Others: £450 + VAT
Last-minute Rate (until 03 Feb 2020)
- CW Members: £500 + VAT
- Others: £550 + VAT