5G is the next revolution in mobile technology and here in the West Midlands we’re building the first region-wide 5G testbed – with access to up to £150m of private and public funding.
Over the next three years, West Midlands 5G (WM5G) Limited is accelerating the deployment of 5G & Fibre networks across our region and working in partnership to test, prove and scale major new 5G services & businesses to benefit citizens, public services and the private sector.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Finance Director to join our senior management team reporting to our MD. Come and shape the future with us!
To act as a member of the Senior Management Team to oversee the financial performance of WM5G Limited to ensure that the business:
- has a compelling strategic business plan & budget – approved by the boardreceives sufficient funding to continue to trade as a going concern
- is delivering benefits that exceed its investment and costs in-line with budget
- is acting in compliance with all relevant legislation and procurement policies
- is demonstrating strong financial control and reporting
To discharge these accountabilities the role holder will lead the Finance and Legal function. This includes financial planning, management, reporting, accounting, procurement and legal. The post holder has direct responsibility for WM5G’s financial accounting, management and procurement activities. S/he will also be responsible for the procurement & negotiations with suppliers and partners.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the post holder is expected to be a champion of corporate values and objectives and to have extensive board and senior external engagement – with leaders in both private sector and public sector organisations.
- Lead delivery of strategic business plan (2019-2022), annual budget and quarterly forecasting – securing board agreement for business plan and budget
- Oversee working capital to ensure WM5G can function as a going concern. This includes liaising with senior public and private funders to ensure WM5G secures funding on-time to offset its costs & investment
- Steers benefit planning and delivery to ensure that WM5G is creating value in excess of its costs, investment and cost of capital. This includes leading the identification of new benefit – including revenue streams – as well as optimising effort/costs
- Deliver insightful and clear financial reporting and accounts.Ensure that all regulatory, statutory and financial requirements are met and delivered on time.
- Oversee the framing of all sourcing activities – in-line with all relevant policies and laws – and lead commercial negotiations for major procurement activities
- Chair the Investment Sub Committee (ISC) and participate in the WM5G Limited Board along with the MD
- Lead Finance team – hiring, retaining, developing and motivating a high-potential team.
- Lead external relationships – including with DCMS, LEPs and WMCA CFOs & Finance teams
- Continuous review of the organisation and ways of working, ensuring that Finance Services is lean, commercially aware and efficient and that business information can be used to identify appropriate contributions.
- Ensure Delivery of obligations under the Overarching Grant Agreement
- Provide financial, benchmarking, strategic financing options needed to support the running of the programme
- 5+ years’ experience as a Finance Director or CFO in start-up or scale-up organisations
- Experience as a Finance Director in a public-private partnership desirable
- Extensive experiencing of leading and managing teams
- Strong strategic and customer focus
- Proven Management and/or relationship management experience at a senior, strategic level role.
- Established track record of exceeding targets, KPI’s SLA’s, in a quality led, legislative compliant environment
- Demonstrative ability to motivate and communicate with others at all levels
- Influential relationships skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Able to adapt and succeed in a changing environment
- Evidence of well-developed leadership skills.
- Understanding of public sector managing public money and public sector procurement
- Organisation Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills, Both Verbal and Written
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Computer Literate
- Adaptable to Change
- Chartered Accountant (ACCA) or Management Accountant (CIMA) qualified.
Birmingham, United Kingdom