Digital Catapult is looking for a highly motivated person with strong interest to work at the cutting edge of 5G network implementation and application to join our technically expert and dynamic 5G technology team. Based in Belfast, the Digital Catapult NI technology team has continued to expand as it supports NI industry adopt new and emerging technology solutions. This role will be the first 5G technology resource within the team and will be integral to developing the team's advanced wireless strategy, solution development and industry engagement.
This role offers an exciting mix of activities including practical deployment, management and operation of the new 5G testbed as a private mobile network, as well as involvement with advanced service development activities for 5G infrastructure with a particular focus on network virtualisation, orchestration and automation. Working in collaboration with startups, scaleups, SME and Enterprise level businesses to drive the adoption of 5G and smart manufacturing, especially in the Nanotech space, will be a core part of the role. What You’ll Do
- Support the implementation of a new 5G Testbed in Northern Ireland, including its design, deployment, configuration, operation and documentation
- Liaise with specific industry partners and other technology companies, gather requirements for the 5G testbed and provide technical support to teams developing specific use case applications and services
- Provide the necessary L1/L2 technical support to teams developing specific use case applications and services
- Develop and present content on 5G, including technology basics, business opportunities, and potential roadmaps, to support industry with developing relevant use cases for 5G
What We’re Looking For
- Experience of IT network systems and protocols for fixed and mobile communication systems and an excellent understanding of network protocols and services
- Knowledge and experience working with network equipment (switch, router and firewall) configuration, network design drawing and documentation, WiFi Management
- Programming and scripting experience, especially Python / Shell, with hands on experience on network setup, troubleshooting and maintenance at Linux admin level
- Good communication skills, with a strong inclusive approach and interested in explaining complex technical aspects to non-technical audiences
- Experience in knowledge transfer, consulting, or collaborative innovation is advantageous
- Regular travel will be required in the role throughout the Belfast-Londonderry corridor. There will be some other occasional UK travel including the DC HQ in London and to other 5G testbeds.
Belfast, Northern Ireland