You’ll set overall front-end development strategy as part of an expanding team that is resourced to deliver excellence, with control over the full stack. With broad direction over technology choices to fulfil the needs of web projects that are varied, informed by data, and creatively challenging, you will work collaboratively to set the technical direction executed upon by a team of professionals.
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing smart working at BT. Smart working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss smart working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
About this role
We are strengthening our internal digital capabilities and looking for new talent as we expand our engineering team. Uncompromising in delivering quality solutions to our enterprise customers at pace, we require an experienced UI Engineering lead to bring their ambition, drive and proven track record of delivery to a broad portfolio of digital properties.
Building and rolling out a UI System that supports digital marketing, sales, and service initiatives for a company our size is a challenging and rewarding undertaking. Your work will be used daily by customers, consumed by dedicated web applications as well as a variety of business systems and content management systems including Adobe Experience Manager, prioritising accessibility and inclusiveness throughout. You’ll set overall front-end development strategy as part of an expanding team that is resourced to deliver excellence, with control over the full stack. With broad direction over technology choices to fulfil the needs of web projects that are varied, informed by data, and creatively challenging, you will work collaboratively to set the technical direction executed upon by a team of professionals.
Working in a modern, collaborative workflow, you will lead transparently to strong documentation and coding standards, implementing and measuring automated workflows where appropriate. Progressive enhancement is key, and your team’s work will scale intelligently to fit challenging demands in accessibility and usability, operating within a tiered model of browser and device support that evolves over time. You will mentor developers in the team as well as assisting in scaling resource availability as business needs requires.
If you’re passionate about building beautiful web experiences that put the user first, please get in touch. Strong communication (both verbal and written), technical excellence and a sharp eye for detail is essential to this role.
You'll have the following responsibilities
• Set overall technical standards for front-end development within the team, building digital customer experiences for our enterprise customers (B2B)
• Liaise proactively with colleagues across the organisation to wholly understand technology connections associated with work items and seek opportunities for alignment
• Document and present findings and strategy comprehensively and articulately
• Build a reusable and modern front-end component architecture
• Prioritise engineering quality while delivering at pace, participating in comprehensive code reviews to ensure high standards of quality
• Track items of technical debt and contribute to prioritisation sessions to ensure their effective resolution
• Work transparently and collaboratively, maintaining high standards of documentation
• Work to established code quality standards and collaborate on their improvement over time
• Proactively seek new technologies and approaches that may improve our work, sharing them with the wider team
• Line management and hiring a team to meet expanding business needs in an engineering chapter structure
You'll have the following skills & experience
• Familiarity with broad web development processes, technologies and best practice
• Applied knowledge of architecting design system / UI system front-end code with extensible, sustainable practices
• At least 7 years’ experience in similar roles
• Applied knowledge of a variety of content management systems and marketing automation systems including Adobe Experience Manager and Salesforce
• Applied knowledge of modern development tooling and automation techniques
• Confidence leading code reviews and implementing scalable development processes
• Confidence articulating technical concepts to a non-technical audience
• Strong experience of accessibility and usability practices
• Experience working to a tiered model of browser support (e.g. progressive enhancement)
• Exceptional attention to detail and communication skills, with a collaborative approach
• Familiarity with Git and other version control systems
• Experience working within a complex code base
• Working knowledge of web analytics and tag management approaches
• Familiarity with digital sales practices and marketing automation systems