As a hands-on manager you will be responsible for the design and development of communication devices which interface with a broad scope of lab equipment and can be standalone or embedded solutions.
You will work in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team, formed by internal resources and external development partners and technology suppliers, during the entire product development cycle. You will take opportunities to foster a climate of innovation, translate long-term strategic vision into executable action plans, and deliver value by managing a team during discovery, prototyping and development, qualification, certification, and commercialization of the communication devices.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Manage a Systems and SW team during development of devices and solutions which define our ubiquitous comms for CAVs and other vehicles.
- Provide technical leadership to HW and SW/FW engineers as part of the development process.
- Work closely with Embedded Controls, Cloud Applications, and Connected Services teams to integrate the hybrid comms device into Darwin’s end to end solution architecture.
- Ensure compliance with product development procedures, adhering to quality and regulatory requirements.
- Analyse new opportunities and develop resource and development estimates to support prioritization and strategic project selection.
- Help define the device development plans for the Architecture & Products Division and ensure execution of product road maps.
- Manage self and direct reports in continued professional development and execution of annual goals.
- Manage the relationship with development partners and technology suppliers.
You need to have:
Bachelor’s in Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, or related engineering discipline (PhD or Master’s degree highly preferred)
- 10+ years of related experience. 4+ years of experience in developing wireless communication devices and modems.
- Proven record of leadership and collaboration with cross functional teams to ensure satisfaction of system functional, physical, and operational requirements and compliance with all requisite standards and certifications.
- Experience developing comms products integrating cellular modules.
- Experience integrating devices at the Edge or Gateway positions in an IoT technology stack.
- Experience developing comms products integrating satellite modem boards strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of RF design and Antenna Systems.
- Experience in integration with phased-array antennas strongly preferred.
- Experience bridging Agile and Waterfall development methods to deliver products to market.
- Experience in design of complex software.
- Experience in design of HW and/or embedded controls strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of languages such as C, C++, Java, Python.
- Working knowledge of various protocols including UDP, HTTP, TCP/IP, QUIC etc
- Working knowledge of 4G, 5G, wifi, Ethernet and DVB-S2 communications.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Understanding of complex distributed systems using AWS and/or Microsoft Azure cloud services
- Excellent technical understanding and experience with technologies commonly used in cloud based systems (REST APIs, Pub/Sub systems)
- An appreciation for sound design, qualification, and documentation practices.
- Working knowledge of AI/ML implementations is highly preferred
Full time position, based in Harwell Campus. Competitive salary. Flexible working. Training and continuous professional development support.
Apply today! Darwin Innovation Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Darwin’s Lab in Harwell Campus (Didcot) is capable of showcasing 5G and satellite communication simultaneously. We work with multiple vendors to identify best fit and performance. Telefonica and Hispasat are the two partners providing 5G and GEO satellite comms, and we will add LEO satellites to our portfolio in the coming months. We are the first lab of this kind in the UK.
Our plan is to expand this lab facility to support the required R&D activity, working with external partners, for the development of a hybrid mobile and satellite communications terminal for integration into vehicles.