Can you design and build frameworks to test large, scalable systems? Can you quickly understand software systems at the architecture level and then drill down into the detail?
If you would like to join a team of highly motivated and professional engineers developing scalable systems for clients across many markets then we’d like you to come and join us. We develop systems that span embedded devices, internet services, user experience, and global connectivity. The Software Group is growing, so if you want to create innovative systems for a wide variety of clients, Cambridge Consultants is the place for you.
Working on Cambridge Consultants’ projects, you will architect automated test software for complex systems. This will involve working with other software engineers as part of a multidisciplinary project team.
You may also participate in meetings with clients and potential clients from time to time and a small amount of travel may be involved.
Type of Work
The Software Group develops software for a wide variety of applications. We have particular strengths in creating large systems, as well as low power, low cost radio implementations, with application areas such as telecommunications, healthcare, industrial and consumer goods. We have a significant pre-developed IP library to reduce development time and risk, including mature and proven Bluetooth and DECT protocol stacks.
Recent examples of our work include the complete development of a wireless medical telemetry system and a global satellite communication service. Both of these examples involved the design and development of new hardware alongside the software development. Further examples include ZigBee and Bluetooth developments, an Air Traffic Control radio system and high value front ends for telecommunications network equipment.
The group carries out software design and architecture, as well as coding, mainly in C and Python.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- The design and development of test frameworks for large software systems
- Clearly communicating system problems to other software engineers
- Delivery of high-quality code
With an appropriate background in software, you will have a good degree in a relevant subject, such as computer science or electronic engineering.
- Experience in communications software
- Understanding of both hardware and software
- Understanding of build systems and source control
- Significant experience of Python
- Some understanding of Internet technologies
We’re committed to promoting a diverse workplace. We believe that diversity can only flourish when everyone feels included and has a sense of belonging.
We value all people regardless of gender, age, disability, race, ethnic origin, parental status, language, religion, marital status or sexual orientation.
- Competitive salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life, disability and travel insurance, plus private healthcare
- Free canteen - breakfast, lunch and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.